Pages

Friday, November 11, 2016

Conan by Monolith Games



I finally received the first wave of my Conan board game kickstarter, about 18 months after it ended. Given the scale of the game, I think this is about a normal time frame. I got the King Pledge, so the base game as well as a bunch of extras. I also picked up some extra models: a Vanir Valkyrie (essentially Red Sonja), Yogah of Yag (a Lovecraftian elephant god from The Tower of the Elephant), and a unit of Black Dragons (King Conan's bodyguards). I ordered the campaign book but that will ship as part of phase 2.

I won't be posting pictures of the models until they're painted, as they're cast in a very light grey plastic and photograph horribly. The sculpts are quite good, with tons of detail. The models are heavily textured, with most having few flat areas. I'm expecting they'll paint up well with drybrushing and washes. There are some moldlines as well as tabs where the models were cut off the sprue, but these were easy to clean up. The plastic seems to be decent quality; certainly not as nice as GW plastics but better than the plastic/resin hybrid that Privateer Press uses. I'm really looking forward to painting them up. By a quick count, I received 196 models, so I'll have lots to keep me busy.





There's a small Heroes' Book with rules for playing as the heroes, as well as a thicker Overlord's Book with rules for controlling the bad guys as well as a bunch of scenarios. I found the rules pretty easy to follow, but I've heard that the company has gotten some complaints and will be sending out a clarified rulebook to anyone that wants one.


The base game came with 2 double sided game boards, and the King pledge came with another one. These look great! The graphics are beautiful and they're printed on heavy cardboard. They seem quite durable, which is a big plus. The boards are a village, pirate ships, a castle, a fort, a swamp, and a tavern.


Here are the cards for playing the heroes, as well as the cheat sheets for all of the character skills and turn counter. There are 25 playable characters, including 6 versions of Conan detailing different phases of his life, so there should be a character to appeal to everyone.


These are the cards that the Overlord uses to organize their units, as well as the cards detailing spells and equipment. Amusingly, there are cards so that the hero players can play most of the villainous characters and cards so that the Overlord can control the heroic characters. If you want to play a scenario where your players are an evil wizard and his minions as they try to resist the assault of Conan and his pals, you totally can. I feel like this gives the game immense flexibility.


Finally, here are all the tokens and dice that come with the game. There are quite a few, and I have no idea what half of them do! I've read the rules but I'm sure things won't really sink in until I've played it a few times.

I'm tremendously happy about this game and really excited to paint the miniatures and play it. Honestly, I would have paid just for the miniatures (though I don't think I really need 25 pirates unless there's a game to use them in. You get a lot of each type of minion).  Expect to see more about Conan soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...