Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Executioners Captain Bran Mak Morn of the Eighth Company



Here's my latest model, my Eighth Company Captain. I spent a long time trying to decide where to use this model, as it's a great sculpt but his power fist doesn't fit well in my Blood Angels and the Executioners use Headman's Axes in place of power fists. I finally decided that he would be an Executioner, and justified his power fist in his background. I replaced his bolt pistol with a storm shield and he was ready for painting.





He has a pretty standard Executioners paint scheme, with a gold helmet and shoulder pad trim marking him out as a Captain. Before anyone tells me, I know IIX is not the correct roman numeral for 8. It just looked so much better than VIII and fit better onto his knee pad that I went with it.

His shield is emblazoned with a black fist, both in reference to the Executioners' heritage as Sons of Dorn and to his nickname within the Chapter, the Fist of Rann. It took a few attempts to get it both centered and reasonably symmetrical (for some reason, the pinky was the hardest to get right), but I think it looks passable.

Finally, what type of Eighth Company Captain would he be without a jump pack? I magnetized his back pack so that he could switch it out for a MK4 jump pack from my Sanguinary Guard. As a Captain, he should have access to the best gear, plus its narrower profile fits better between his raised fist and shield.


What do you think of him?

4 comments:

  1. Nice work. I like the magnetised backpacks, although I always avoid jump infantry with capes or robes. As Edna Mode says, "No capes!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW IIX is an acceptable alternative to VIII for 8. Roman numerals were not quite as standardised as modern numerals. Those sort of rules only became more rigid after the invention of the printing press, as it was all done by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW IIX is an acceptable alternative to VIII for 8. Roman numerals were not quite as standardised as modern numerals. Those sort of rules only became more rigid after the invention of the printing press, as it was all done by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While capes are certainly not practical, and particularly not with a jump pack, miniatures in general operate much more by the "rule of cool" than what they really should look like. My favorite example is the power fist. It is such a stupid weapon from a combat perspective; that's why this is the first Executioner to have one. The only reason this model has one is that I didn't want to chop up a very cool, old model. I guess we all have something that is so impractical that we try to avoid it.

    Thanks for the verification on the IIX. That makes a whole lot of sense, and makes me feel better about using it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...