Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Death-Speaker Chareos






Here is the last member of my mounted Command Squad, the Death-Speaker (or Chaplain if you follow the Codex Astartes more closely). I know Chaplains aren't common choices for Space Marine armies at the moment, but there were a few reasons I decided to make one.


First and foremost, I needed a character that unlocks a Command Squad. My Chapter Master won't do it, and I didn't want to downgrade him to a Captain. That left me with adding another Captain (a good option for more killing power), a Librarian (which I always find disappointing, and I don't expect that to change with the new psychic rules), or a Chaplain. The Chaplain increases the hitting power of the whole unit, but more importantly makes them Fearless . I spent so many points on that squad that I really did not want them to fall back. Ever. Finally, the Death-Speaker is a super fluffy choice for Executioners, and I never ran one. It was time to fix that.

So I present to you Death-Speaker Chareos of the Executioners Fourth Company.





I'm really happy with how he turned out, and even more happy that I'm done converting horses to have bolter-faces. That takes more time than I'd like to admit. Next up I have a bunch of bolter marines so that I can field a third Tactical squad. They should be relatively quick and relaxing.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Just wow! Cypher's backpack looks great on him! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic looking model! I don't know about the idea of Astartes riding horses, but the model taken by itself looks great. With three Death-Speakers per Company, you can't go wrong with one in your army! I have a question for you that I've been thinking about since I saw your Command Squad; have you considered creating a model based on the Death Dealer painting by Frank Frazetta? It seems to have a good look for an Executioner, suitably barbaric and a look that borders between hero and villain. Plus, Frazetta did quite a bit of art for the Conan stories. It's an idea I'd love to try my hand at if I had the money, time and ability--right now I have none of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! The Death Dealer painting is quite inspirational and I could see a model based on it working in my Executioners. The hardest part would actually be the pose of the horse. GW horses are all charging, while Death Dealer's needs to be stationary, almost exhausted looking. If I can find a horse in that pose, I will definitely build it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...