Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tournament Report: Game 3

My last game would be against a Forgeworld tank company list, with a small allied contingent of Imperial Guard. My list, once again, was:

Amra (aka Lysander)

10 Tactical Marines w/ plasma gun, lascannon

10 Tactical Marines w/ plasma gun, lascannon

5 Scouts w/ Telion, 3 sniper rifles, missile launcher, camo cloaks

10 Sternguard w/ 2 combi-meltas

8 Sternguard w/ 2 combi-meltas, 2 plasma guns

Thunderfire Cannon

5 Assault Terminators, all with thunder hammer/storm shield

Stormraven w/ multi-melta, assault cannons

Stormtalon w/ skyhammer missiles

My opponents army was an impressive collection of Forgeworld models, all nicely weathered. As I remember it, he took:

Leman Russ Vanquisher (which was his warlord) w/ multi-melta sponsons

Leman  Russ Exterminator w/ plasma cannon sponsons

Thunderer w/ demolisher cannon

Griffon Heavy Mortar

Earthshaker Cannon Artillery Piece

Commissar Lord

Veteran Squad w/ Sgt Harker, autocannon, 3 meltaguns

Guardsman Marbo

Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad Gun

2 Vulture Gunships

2 Avenger Strike Fighters (represented by Lightnings) w/ hellfury missiles



This game was Purge the Alien with Dawn of War Deployment. If the first game had been a bad match up, this was a nightmare. There were no targets for my bolters, I was totally outgunned by some serious artillery, and he had massive air superiority. I won't be doing a turn by turn report of this game, as it was very straight forward.

I deployed in a refused flank, while my opponent spread out across the table, using his superior range.






My Tactical squads and Thunderfire hunkered down in terrain, trying to conserve kill points while doing some damage with their lascannons. The Sternguard advanced across the battlefield in order to reach melta range with the enemy. Only Amra was resilient enough to do so, but he seemed invulnerable, shrugging off all damage to destroy the Thunderer and Executioner. Unfortunately, he was targeted by a Vulture, which did 16 wounds to him, killing him outright.

Amra stands before the wreckage of the Thunderer as flyers duel above the battlefield.
My flyers did their best to engage his, but only managed to bring down one Vulture and damage the Avengers. My Stormtalon did particularly well, jinking and diving to avoid taking any damage until a Vulture finally drew a bead on it and blasted it it from the sky in a hail of bullets.  Meanwhile, Harker and his squad outflanked and did some damage to my Tacticals before they were assaulted and swept away.

The Imperial Guard try to to some damage to my squads, but don't have enough men.
Amra destroys the Executioner before falling to the overwhelming firepower of a Vulture gunship.
My Stormraven suffered a Locked Velocity damage result as it prepared to drop off the Terminators, so it was forced to disembark them using Skies of Fury. Sadly, they scattered on to the enemy guns and were destroyed. That eliminated any chance I had of further damaging the IG artillery.

My flyers converge on a Vulture, shooting it down before being taken out by the remaining Avengers and Vulture.



The game came down to seeing how many of my squads could survive the artillery barrage until the game ended. One did. It was a resounding victory for the Imperial Guard.

Lessons Learned:

1) Once again, my army's lack of speed and cover from artillery was a major handicap. I simply couldn't close the distance to damage my enemy.

2) The Vulture is terrifying! With Vector Dancer, it can put its firepower anywhere it needs to. With 20 twin-linked S5 shots, hitting on 3's against ground targets, it destroyed everything that it targeted. It seems way to cheap for the damage that it can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...