Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Dardreg Gargant: Hobby Hiatus Pt 2



Officially, this hiatus ends March 15th.  What have I learned?  Essentially, I got my mind right.  If you don't tie your self worth to how good you make your tiny men perform, but rather play for the fun of the game, “the universe tends to unfold as it should”.  Yes, occasionally you get flattened by some monster list of cheap shots and so-so execution, but that man should be pitied.  Very rarely, you get your hat handed to you by a consummate tabletop general that sliced you apart like he was butchering a cow, and then afterward kindly points out all the best cuts.  This experience should be cherished.  


I also learned that if I cut out all of the codex studying, list making, FAQ's, forums, etc., and suddenly there is a lot of painting time.  So much so that you have even to cut it back some. It’s actually a really good way to establish a solid painting schedule.

The best way to go about things is to play what you like, as you want, and just do the best you can with what you have in any match up.  Yes, you will lose, but it is okay.  Life will go on.  Unless you are one of those guys I outlined that always has to have the most exploitative list possible, and then you will turn to the internet to complain about everything except yourself.  The second lesson is to stick to a codex.  Even if your book sucks, there is probably a way to create something decent.  Better that than jumping ship for the latest and greatest.  Life is too short for that business.  In short, after all that time away I discovered the best parts of the hobby were right where I left them; I had just wandered away from them because the internet and  podcast pundits convinced me that winning was way more important than having a good time.  Lesson learned, zen resumed, and principles reaffirmed. 

Thanks for reading, and I hope it was enjoyable.  I’ll be back soon to let you know how my hobby is progressing with my new outlook.      

2 comments:

  1. Exactly.

    I'm more interested in a good close & down-to-the-wire game than a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, winning only becomes important if you let it, and if winning is all you play for then it will consume you. Forget winning and play for fun, sure you'll do silly things, but you'll also start pulling off some fantastic things that you'd never have tried before because the odds weren't in your favour.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...