Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dardreg Gargant: Hobby Hiatus Pt 1



Hello blogosphere.  I have been away for quite some time.  This article is not going to be about the Codicier’s delicious models or tactics.  If that is all you want, then I salute you, and you can come back on Friday.  This article is going to be about the elemental struggle to stay in the game.  It happens to everyone at some point.  You work too hard, suffer an injury, just get wrapped up in video games, or whatever.  At some point you look at your models and your paints and think, “What is it all for?”  That is what this article is about: my personal experience struggling to maintain my hobby.  

To begin, I had already been having some qualms with the hobby.  I had little time to properly paint, and refuse to play with a bunch of grey plastic models.  In addition, 5th edition wasn't being kind to my style of play, as I tend to more of the “fun” choices.  I started having army ADD, because listening to the internet and noted podcasts left me forever thinking I was behind the curve. I didn't have time to actually play and see for myself the man behind the curtain that is reality.  I was always trying to catch up to the “meta” and didn't get a chance to actually enjoy myself.  I spent most of last year playing musical chairs with jobs and traversing some 4000 miles of North America in the name of an income.  This made it very difficult to stay involved in the game. 

Late last year things settled, and I had time to reexamine our hobby (or at least my perception of it).  I didn't really like what I saw.  Not that the picture had really changed; just the way I looked at it and what I wanted out of it.  To that end, I took a self imposed hiatus once my life had settled down to figure out what I was driving toward goal wise.  The hiatus came with several provisions as I knew I didn't want to leave the hobby permanently.  First, I would selectively monitor blogs that I felt reflected where I was trying to go in the hobby.  Keeping a hand in was important in my opinion to avoid becoming so distant that I did leave the hobby, “breaking orbit” if you will.  Second, I would still paint often and as much as I wanted, but I would paint whatever interested me rather than toward a competitive army.   

Well, those are the reasons I went on a hobby hiatus, as well as the rules for my hiatus. Next week, I’ll let you know what I’ve learned on hiatus.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to see you back and I totally understand how you feel. I didn't go on a hiatis myself (despite REALLY wanting to), but I found another way to sate my 40k desire:
    I started a fresh game club out of my comic book shop. There were no gamers, a plethora of tables, and an entire wall of product that needed to be sold. Rather than continue to suffer the abuses of the community at the LGS, I simply started fresh and developed a group of more than a dozen guys that I could 'shape' into my style of gaming. After only five months, we're in the midst of our first campaign, talk endlessly about fluff and background, and enjoy great amounts of creativity and hobbying. I can't lie, this little experiment of mine gave me a much-needed injection which halted my desire to quit the hobby and sell all of my stuff.
    Although most people don't have to worry about this, it's still the success I look at for me. I am NOT a competitive player (well, I am, but not like I once was), I enjoy the modeling and background, and I just like the 'social' aspect of it all. And I appear to have happily accomplished all those now. Let's see how long it lasts.
    As far as hobbying on what you want, check out my blog (if you haven't already)- it's very random and has no focus. Today's post will be about my building of a bastion and the idea of bringing terrain as part of your army. I feel bad for those that hope to read tactics and such on my site, they'll be disappointed. lol! In any case- welcome back!

    Jay
    www.jaysworkshop-agemmanjw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...