Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Vampire Lord Valkar Ejszaka






I'm slowly trying to turn my collection of undead into a viable 2,500 point Vampire Counts army so I can get back into Fantasy. I blame Ben and Tom, hosts of Bull City Wargaming, for reigniting my interest in Fantasy. Check it out if you haven't yet. They cover a variety of games, but they do seem to have a Fantasy bias.



Anyway, I've had this model sitting around for years, and I picked him up and decided to paint him while I waited for the washes to dry on my Executioners Terminators. He went pretty quickly, and I finished him shortly after the Terminators. He's a fairly standard model, but he's significant to me for a few reasons. First, I've always painted my fantasy models with metallic armor. While it looks okay, it's very standard and boring. This is my first attempt to paint plate armor using non-metallic colors, and it looks way better than my vampires in standard silver armor. As a side note, the P3 paint Coal Black is a great way to highlight black while keeping it looking black. I used it on the armor here, and it adds definition without really lightening the color.


Second, I used a special shield from GW's extra Vampire Counts shield sprue. I bought them even longer ago than the vampire, and while I liked them initially, they're a bit campy. However, I was watching an old Hammer Horror vampire film with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing while I was painting, and it helped remind me why I played Vampires to start out with. I went with a bat shield and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

If you're sick of the way vampires are portrayed in movies lately, find any film with Christopher Lee playing Dracula. It'll remind you that vampires are the bad guys, and are terrifying even if they are a bit goofy at times. 



6 comments:

  1. He looks great, a great leader for the undead horde. It seems the Vampire bug is catching, I just finished up a bunch of zombies, skeletons, fellbats and a wraith but my Lahmian vampires are still a work in progress.

    Are you painting to a set army list or are you painting and making a list from what you have finished?

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm doing a little of both. I planned out a 2,500 point list using mostly what I already own. However, that would result in an army with tons of week infantry with little hitting power. Therefore, I'm planning on getting a big unit of Crypt Horrors, small unit of Vargheists, and a Terrorgheist. That should allow my army to at least kill something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat. I played a Necromancer army a couple army books back, with a horde of skeletons, zombies and a couple big units of black knights. I have enough models to field 2500 points under the current army book but none of the new coolness. I have a selection of painted necromancers but the only painted vampire is a Mordheim Vampire with sword. I don't have a list to work toward at the moment but I do want one of the Coven Thrones to use for the centerpiece of the army.

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, sounds like you're in the same place I am. I've played with my collection a (very few times) and it just gets worn down without killing much. I think the new units give substantial killing power to a really weak list.

    I've got a collection of old necromancers and vampires, which is great because I can't stand most of the new Vampire models (the new plastic necromancer is awesome, however). I like the coven throne, but I really lean toward the Mortis Engine. It's not part of my current list but it's a long term goal.

    I'll be keeping an eye on your blog for further Vampire Counts updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for this guy for a while now; I actually saw him a while ago in one of the books but could never remember the name. Do you by chance know where one might find him laying around unpainted? I have tried Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, and Gamesworkshop without luck. It's a shame too; I'm not really a fan of the newer vampire Counts, but the old stuff is something else. You did a great job with him BTW. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the new vampire models; I much prefer the older ones which have been sadly discontinued. This guy was part of a 2 pack containing him both on foot and mounted with a lance. I haven't painted the mounted version yet.

    I'm not sure of a good place to find one. Keep an eye on ebay, and on ChaosOrc Superstore. They have a lot of out of print stuff that pops up. You could also check Bartertown and post asking if anyone has one they're willing to sell/trade.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...