Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Best Painted Elite Unit

Last weekend was a doubles tournament at the local game store. My team used my Blood Angels and Executioners. The tournament didn't go well for my team, due to a combination of bad tactics, some very bad rolling for my Blood Angels assaults, and the Executioners being designed more for 5th Edition than 6th Edition (lots of melta).

On the plus side, I learned a lot more about what works in 6th and what doesn't, and (even though I wasn't playing them) I think I have a new idea about how the Executioners need to change in order to compete in 6th.

Also, I won the painting competition, which was for best Elite unit. While it came with some store credit (which is always very welcome), I'm really most happy that I finally won a painting competition, given that there are some excellently painted armies at my store. The squad that won was Squad Cronnacht.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the win! I've long been following your blog and finding your army to be incredibly beautiful, in that grim and awful sort of way.

    Btw, in what way do you think melta is a thing of 5th that we should be moving away from in 6th? I'm in the process of building my first vanilla Space Marines army (Blood Ravens chapter) after a couple of years of playing Blood Angels, and I've got a fair amount of melta, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! As far as melta, I'll put up some more in-depth thoughts in their own post later, but here's the break down. In 3 tournament games, we faced off against 4 vehicles; 3 Vendettas and a Storm Raven. That presented no good targets for melta. In addition, longer possible charge ranges seem to make it harder to get shots with melta before getting charged. The other weapon options (particularly plasma)have similar hitting power against non-vehicles with longer ranges.

    The one way melta has been working out for the Executioners has been scoring kills on Overwatch. While this may be due to my partner's luck, it did work really well. Once again though, a plasma gun does it better than a meltagun.

    It's heavily dependent on meta, but the meta here is really moving away from heavy vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats sir! Well deserved!

    Never won a paint competition, came close though ,the only time I have ever been in a tournament (WarmaHordes).

    And Plasma - 6th Ed is all about Plasma guns. At least that's the way I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my meta seems generally pretty slow on the uptake, so hopefully I'll be able to get in a few games with my army's current configuration before it's totally obsolete. Then I'll have to get my hands on some plasma bits.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...