Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

First Game of 6th

So I got the chance to play my first game of 6th Edition, and I decided to put my Executioners on the table. I used the list I posted previously:

Pedro Kantor
Librarian
8 Sternguard Veterans w/ power fist, 2 combi-meltas, 2 heavy flamers, Rhino
 7 Sternguard Veterans w/ power fist, 2 combi-meltas, 2 heavy flamers, Rhino
10 Tactical Marines w/ power fist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino
10 Tactical Marines w/ power fist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino
5 Scouts w/ sniper rifles, camo cloaks, missile launcher
Land Speeder w/ heavy bolter, typhoon missile launcher
Predator w/ autocannon turret, lascannon sponsons
Predator w/ autocannon turret, lascannon sponsons
Techmarine w/ Thunderfire Cannon
 
 
My opponent was Grey Knights. He took 2 Storm Ravens, one with a Psyfleman Dreadnought, Librarian and 5 Terminators w/ incinerator, and the other with Draigo and 5 Terminators w/ incinerator. He also had two 5 strong Terminator squads with psycannons, which he kept in reserve to deep strike. (We ignored the whole lose the game if you don't have any models on the table thing...)
We rolled the Relic mission and Hammer and Anvil deployment (short table edges). I'm not going to really go into detail here, as the battle was pretty one sided. I deployed first in a refused flank. I advanced a bit in turn 2, and was situated as shown below.






The Stormraven with Dreadnought and Librarian zoomed 36" onto the board, and one Terminator squad arrived from deep strike. The Dreadnought jumped out of the Storm Raven, and everything arrived on my right flank, in front of the Predator. The Dreadnought destroyed my Land Speeder while the Storm Raven and Terminators wrecked the Predator just in front of them.



I advanced my army and put almost everything into the Stormraven, but couldn't scratch it. I eventually got bored and fired a Tactical squad at the Dreadnought, taking off a hull point.


The Storm Raven deployed its Terminators, and another squad dropped in to strengthen their position. The Storm Raven went over and destroyed my remaining Predator, and my Tactical squad and Sternguard with Tytos Solomon (Pedro Kantor) are wiped out in assault. 







I launched a honorable but doomed counter-attack with my Librarian's Sternguard, while the other Tactical squad was shot out of their Rhino and jumped in another one, fleeing past the objective. I had a horrible time getting through the Terminator armor, and only killed 3 with my counter-attack. 


The Terminators countered and wiped out the Sternguard. I lost 5 out of 5 models to a Warp Rift. It was brutal. Models died on 5s or 6s and I rolled this:


The remaining Storm Raven came on, destroyed my Rhino and stranded my Tactical squad, which was wiped out by further shooting. 


My lone success in the final turns was the Techmarine from the Thunderfire, who killed off the last 2 Terminators near him, one with his plasma pistol and another in assault (before his servo-arms struck!)

It was a sound defeat, but it was good experience with the new edition.

Lessons Learned
 
1) My list can't deal with flyers. At all. I really would have done much better had I put all of my shooting into the Terminators and Dreadnought. The Storm Ravens aren't that dangerous for their points, but they are really impossible to kill without skyfire. 

2) I should have used the deep deployment of Hammer and Anvil. Had I started against the table edge, I could have gotten another round of long ranged shooting at the fliers before they deployed they units. 

3) Rhinos work just fine in this edition. They actually may be a bit better in this edition. I'm not sure how durable the Predators are, as the Storm Ravens were easily able to destroy them, but they probably would have in 5th too.

4) The Thunderfire performed well, though had trouble getting through terminator armor. Every time it fired, it did 8-10 wounds, even on 5 strong squads. It also held up to a bit of fire towards the end of the game. The Techmarine, with his extensive arsenal and 2+ save, proved himself quite capable. The fortified ruin combined excellently with the Scouts. My opponent never even fired at them because of their 2+ cover save.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I can see flyers being a pain. But like you said maybe you should of ignored them and fired else where. Good practice for your next game tho.
    (or you could get a flyer of your own?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think I would have done much better had I turned all my melta and lascannons on the Terminators and wiped them out as they deployed.

    I have thought about picking up a flier for both my Executioners and Blood Angels. The Storm Raven is particularly tough with the new rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good learning game for both of us. In hindsight I think I see some things that I got away with that may have been a bit outside the rule set. Everyone save for maybe ig is going to have problems with terminators in this edition. They are finally actually terminators. Either way iggy is a gracious opponent and the game was a blast. I hope we can play again soon. (yes I'm taking to calling you iggy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iggy's fine. I can certainly work with that.

    It was a learning game. I'm sure we both pulled things that aren't actually legal. For instance, I later found out that the techmarine can't assault as long as the thunderfire is still alive, so I couldn't have killed that last terminator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...