Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Some Refurbished Assault Marines

Having finished a couple vehicles for the Executioners, I wanted to switch back to painting an infantry squad. The most obvious choice was my next Blood Angel Assault squad, so I went with that. The squad is made up of 6 brand new models and 4 models from my old Assault squads (who were removed from the squads to make room for meltaguns). My first step was to refurbish the old models to bring them up to my current standard.



Here are some shots of the original Assault squads, including these 4 models.



I shaded the models with washes and went over the red to make it a bit brighter and more uniform. I also highlighted the black and repainted some bits that no longer fit with my paint scheme. When I painted these, I tried to differentiate squads by the colors of chainswords, elbow pads, and knee pads. This turned out to be a horrible idea, so I switched to the official squad markings on the right knee. I had to correct these to match the new squad.

Here's what I ended up with:



They're not quite as good as my current models painted from scratch but they certainly look better than they did, and they'll fit in well with the new squad.

I guess I'll use this opportunity to reiterate my firmly held belief that you can always update your old models. There's no reason to let them sit on the shelf just because they don't look as nice as your current models, and there's certainly  no reason to buy replacements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...