Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Executioners 1,850 point Army List



I’m happy to report that I’ve made the last of my purchases for my first planned 1,850 point Executioners list. It seems like a good time to actually post the list, explain how I expect it to work, and get some feedback and criticism.


My goal with this list is to produce a reasonably competitive Space Marine list while still being true to the Executioners’ background. In short, this means:

1) Somewhat aggressive (at least as much as C:SM can be).
2) Preference for heavy armor.
3) Use of more Sternguard and less Devastators than normal.
4) Preference for Land Speeders over Bikes for fast reconnaissance.
5) Use of large numbers of Chaplains.

From a competitive point of view, I took my inspiration from a currently popular Space Wolf build using lots of Grey Hunters in Rhinos backed up by Long Fangs. My goal is to take the center of the board with lots of infantry while maintaining large amounts of long-range fire support. This obviously needs to be adapted a bit because Space Marines lack efficient alternatives to Grey Hunters and Long Fangs.


 
I’ll start off with Troops. First comes two full Tactical squads, each with a meltagun, multi-melta, combi-melta, and power fist and riding in a Rhino. This gives me durable scoring units that are capable of close-range shooting. They aren’t as points-efficient as Grey Hunters and don’t fight well in assault (I’ll get to that later). I’ll throw in 5 Scouts with sniper rifles, camo cloaks, and a missile launcher. These are here just for a cheap and durable backfield scoring unit.

I now have a good base for my midfield force, and a tiny bit of my firebase in the Scouts. Next, I’ll build up my shooting since it’s the simplest thing to plan. I’ll take two Predators with autocannon turrets and sponson-mounted lascannons. These give me some long-ranged anti-tank and are fairly resistant to all the missile launchers that are so common. Next comes a Land Speeder with a heavy bolter and typhoon missile launcher. This gives me some more anti-tank firepower, and it’s mobile. I’m worried that taking a third Predator will lead to them getting in each other’s way or that there won’t be enough firelanes for three fairly immobile tanks. The Land Speeder has no such problems.

My final shooty unit is the one I’m most worried about, as I’ve never used it before: the Thunderfire Cannon. I know it’s easy to kill, but I will want to make it work (Ben Mohlie likes them, and that’s good enough for me). It also adds some things that my other shooty units don’t. First, it can set up in places that the Predator can’t, so it won’t compete with them for firelanes. Second, it can easily force tanks (especially Land Raiders) to take Dangerous Terrain tests. I think I’ve got decent anti-tank firepower, but nothing that will reliable deal with Land Raiders. The Thunderfire stands a good chance of immobilizing them. Finally, the Thunderfire can really punish infantry. This is particularly important with all the Long Fangs running around; with 60” range, the Thunderfire can try to take out any heavy firepower infantry squads. At the end of the day, it’s a pretty cheap unit and any fire sent at it won’t be sent at my transports or heavier tanks.

I’m pretty happy with the firepower I have, but my forward element is pretty weak with just two Tactical squads. If you’ve read my blog regularly, you know I’m a big fan of Sternguard. In this case, they’re able to provide excellent close-ranged shooting and some assault presence (not great, but it’s there). I’ll take two squads, one of 8 marines and one of 7 marines, each with two heavy flamers and two combi-meltas and riding in a Rhino. That gives me four advancing squads, each packing a power fist and multiple melta weapons. All the bolters and four heavy flamers should allow them to deal with most infantry.


I still need at least one HQ, and I decided to go with two in this case. Ideally, they should be able to support the forward squads. My first choice is Pedro Kantor. He’s a tough combatant on his own, but his special rules are most important here. First, he makes the Sternguard scoring, which could be handy but probably won’t be critical given my Troop choices. Second, he gives every squad within 12” +1 Attack. I think this will go a long way to turning my Sternguard and Tactical Marines into an effective aggressive force.  They’re still not up to the level of Grey Hunters, but I’m hoping the heavy flamers and special issue ammo will even the playing field.


My final addition is a Librarian. While I’m not crazy about taking two HQs, I think the Librarian is worth it for psychic defense and to add some more hitting power to the advance force. I’m definitely giving him Avenger since it pairs so well with the heavy flamers, but I’m not sure what else to take. Null Zone will help against characters and Terminators, but Force Dome will keep the Sternguard alive and kicking.

Anyway, here’s the final list.

Pedro Kantor

Librarian

8 Sternguard Veterans w/ power fist, 2 combi-meltas, 2 heavy flamers, Rhino

 7 Sternguard Veterans w/ power fist, 2 combi-meltas, 2 heavy flamers, Rhino

10 Tactical Marines w/ power fist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino

10 Tactical Marines w/ power fist, combi-melta, meltagun, multi-melta, Rhino

5 Scouts w/ sniper rifles, camo cloaks, missile launcher

Land Speeder w/ heavy bolter, typhoon missile launcher

Predator w/ autocannon turret, lascannon sponsons

Predator w/ autocannon turret, lascannon sponsons

Techmarine w/ Thunderfire Cannon

Total: 1,850 points

There it is. There are quite a few things I’m not sure on: the Librarian, the Thunderfire, whether I need two Tactical squads along with the Sternguard, etc., but this is my starting point.

Let me know what you think and if you have any advice. 

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the look of these models which you have pictured.

    I guarantee one thing: They will be a great looking force. Everyone will be happy to play against them. Win or lose, I love playing against a great looking army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would you change this list for 6th edition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still figuring that out, but I'll be posting some thoughts on the Executioners in 6th soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...