Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Thoughts on the new paint line


As I'm sure everyone knows by now, GW is redoing their paint line and expanding it. Overall, I'm pretty excited about it. This involves the expansion of both the Foundation line (now just called base paints) and the Washes, which are some of my favorite paints. The basic paint line, now called layer paints, is also supposed to get a redo, which is great as I think they don't really compare to other brands. In particular, I think P3 paints are quite a bit better in both coverage and smoothness. We'll also be getting new glazes and drybrush paints, which I'm excited to try out.

There is a downside here; with any change in formula, the paints won't quite be the same shade. For most of my armies, this won't make much of a difference. However, my Blood Angels are a very bright, unadulterated Blood Red. Any change in the shade will be very noticeable. I've tried the closest P3 color, Khador Red Base, but it's just a little too bright and just didn't work, despite being an easier paint to work with. I don't know if the new GW paint will be any closer of a match.

Bearing all that in mind, I picked up two more pots of Blood Red at the FLGS. It was all they had at the moment, but I may grab some more if they get more. I've still got big plans for my Blood Angels.

This may all be pointless if there's a new paint that matches Blood Red and is improved quality. I'm really hoping that's the case, but it never hurts to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...