Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Tournament Wrap-up

At the end of the day, I had two solid wins and two losses, one crushing and one close. Based on them, I think I learned a few things over the course of the tournament.

First, I'm not too impressed with the Predators, but I'm not sure that's their fault. They're easy to stunlock and prevent from shooting, a problem the Devastators don't have. When it comes down to it, the Devastators provide more firepower and are more durable. The trade-off is mobility. In this case, I don't think I used that mobility particularly well. I tried to use it to keep the tanks out of sight at the beginning of the game and get the first shot, and that worked out okay. After that, though, I kept them immobile and maintained fire. In some cases, I did try to move them out of trouble, but it was too late. Their mobility needs to be used to keep them out of trouble in the first place. I need to either stick with the Devastators or learn how to use the Predators better.



Second, in my mind, a big part of how I do is how familiar I am with playing the enemy army. I'm very familiar with Blood Angels and Space Marines, particularly the styles of armies I ended up playing, and I did well against them. I know a bit about Tyranids, but I've never played anyone who was really comfortable with them; I lost that game but it was pretty close. I had very little experience with Dark Eldar, and they stomped me.

Now, this isn't to say that the skill of my opponents isn't important. Both of my losses were against skilled opponents that did well in the tournament overall. Even had I been more familiar with their armies, I could (probably would) have still lost. But I think I would have given them a tougher game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...