Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Executioners Sternguard


Despite some other drains on my time, I've finally finished the second half of my first Sternguard squad for the Executioners.







 

And Sergeant Cronnacht:

 I tried a couple different things on these guys. First, I thought the first half of this squad came out looking kind of plain. Since these guys are veterans, I thought they would be less concerned with carrying around the skulls of their fallen enemies. They've already earned their places in the Executioners' sagas, so the would only take the heads of the most dangerous foes. Also, I didn't want to cover up and distract from the Forgeworld armor. However, the first four came out a bit flat.

For these guys, I wanted to add some freehand to make them more visually interesting and denote veteran status. Everybody received some sort of axe on their chestplate, though the bolters block these from view in most of the photos. The third marine also got a red skull on his vambrace, Given the Executioners' history, I decided that this denotes the execution of a high ranking Red Corsair.

Also, I used rubbing alcohol rather than water as the medium for applying the weathering powders this time. I think this ended up giving a much more natural look than the caked on mud that I get when I use water.

As always, let me know what you think. I'll be starting my second squad of Sternguard soon. They got most of the MK 2 and 3 armor, which is by far my favorite, so I'm planning to go all out on them. Lots of broad, flat areas for freehand.

7 comments:

  1. These look great so far, I don't know if you were aware or not but there's a 1000 point tournament at Sci-fi Genre in Durham on Saturday. I didn't know if you're one for tournaments or not but I've been to a Fantasy one they had there and it had excellent turn out and decent prize support. I just though I would pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll definitely be there. The last set of battle reports I posted were from a tournament there, and I had a great time. The Executioners still aren't ready for a tournament, but the Blood Angels will be there.

      Expect more battle reports soon.

      Delete
  2. Those are really sweet! I'd be tempted to add a fresh head, or some skulls, swinging from a belt or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these a lot!

    The only thing that I don't like is the fact the white crosses are too white, too clean.

    But apart from that, stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoided adding skulls to the Sternguard since I didn't want to cover over the cool FW armor. That said, I think that was a mistake. I tried to remedy it with more freehand on the last batch but they still look plainer than I would prefer. I will be adding skulls to my second squad.

    I went back and forth on the the color to use for the unit and company markings on the Executioners. I decided on white since it add some bright highlights to otherwise very muted models. With an off-white, the model just looked dull. The white seems to brighten up the whole model and make the colors pop more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good man, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...