Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Executioners Scouts



I now present my next Executioners squad, Scout squad Balthus. Equipped with sniper rifles, a missile launcher, and camo cloaks, the squad has proven excellent at holding a backfield objective and even kills something every once in a while. As a cheap and survivable scoring unit, they've proven pretty excellent.



As for the paint scheme, their camo cloaks and fatigues are my homage to the original Executioners color scheme of grey camouflage. I went with large, triangular patches of color, as my experience is that more realistic camo schemes hide detail and texture on a model. They do what they're supposed to, breaking up textures and concealing contours. While this is great if you're actually trying to hide, it's not so great when painted on something you want people to look at and see detail on.

I tried a new technique for applying the weathering powders, and I'm much happier with how it came out. I mixed a brush-load of water with two brush-loads of powder, producing a thick paste. I then stippled this on using an old drybrush. This produced a more random splattered look that I really like.

As always, here are the close-ups.











I do have to say that it's much harder to paint the chapter badge on such a small shoulder pad than on a Tactical Marine's shoulder pad. Thankfully, there were only two exposed shoulder pads in the squad.

Next up will be my Executioners Sternguard. These may take a while since they're Forgeworld.

1 comment:

  1. I love these guys they make me want to make sniper rifle sounds like: PEW PEW!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...