Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Blood Angels Devastators


This is the first half of my new Devastator squad for my Blood Angels. I guess this would be considered the business end of the squad with all of the heavy weapons. I'll be doing the five bolter marines next. This squad is the last squad of my Fourth Company, so five more marines and I will have completed all 100.



Devastators are a somewhat unorthodox choice for Blood Angels, but I'm painting them for more reason than to just finish my Company. Blood Angels Devastators are really reasonably priced, and are just as viable a choice for Blood Angels as Long Fangs are for Space Wolves. I've been running a Devastator squad with four missile launchers with my otherwise all deep striking list, and they add a great deal to the list. They allow me to engage and destroy tanks and enemy squads that I don't want to assault, allowing my Assault marines to land safely and prepare to launch a decisive assault.

While I really like the four missile launchers, I have discovered that they have a serious weakness: Terminators. Terminators simply laugh at krak missiles; I've seen this from the other side as well, as my Assault Terminators have made a name for themselves clearing out Long Fangs. Therefore, I wanted a second Devastator squad that had the capacity to destroy enemy tanks as well as destroy Terminators that might threaten my firebase. I ended up settling on two lascannons for their reach and anti-vehicle abilities and two plasma cannons for taking out heavy infantry.

Anyway, here they are:











Painting these guys reminded me how time consuming painting red is compared to the metallics that I use on my Executioners. I am looking forward to finishing this squad and another Devastator squad I have planned, again with four missile launchers. I have an 1,850 point list of jump packers backed up be three Devastator squads that I think will play very well, and I'm looking forward to testing it out.

As always, comments, questions, and criticisms are very welcome.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason the models look like they have a 'grainy' texture to them. Is that just the photo?
    Otherwise a good standard, would recommend an extremem highlight on the armour plates. I miss it out a lot but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The models do have a odd texture to them. The primer went on grainy. I was able to scrape some of it off, and additional layers of paint made it less pronounced, but it is definitely still there. I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant stripping the models.

    I've never had much success highlighting my Blood Angels. Every color I've tried just makes them look too orange or pink. Eventually, I gave up on it and just stuck with shading them to provide definition. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this.

    I doubt I would go through and apply it to my BA, just because they're so many and I want them to look uniform, but I would be able to improve any reds I paint in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...